Sunday, April 15, 2012

Haters Gonna Hate

Odd title, isn't it?  For me, at least, it is.  I try to avoid subjects where I'll be complaining about how I feel.  This is one of those rare occasions I'm going to give in, though.  For some reason, people look at me and don't think I take crap from anyone.  That's mostly right.

Ordinarily, I brush off the abuse I take from people for how I behave, how I dress, how I carry myself.  There are times, though, that I give in and let it get to me.  I'm still human, even if I don't let the words get to me.  I still feel even when I pretend I'm made of ice.  I call myself the Ice Queen for a reason.

There comes a point when it crosses a line.  It's cyberbullying when people attack one person for no reason.  I see a lot of this in one of the former Roleplay universes I still have characters alive in.  People will become vicious for no reason other than to be mean.  We're all human, I know, but having people attack for something innocent, even in character, crosses a line.

The sad part is, they don't do it to just one person.  They do it to each other, then those same people who were attacked before help those who attacked them with attacking someone else.  It saddens me to see that happen.  Why can't we all just get along?  I know it doesn't seem to be "human nature", but neither is defending the people who attack you.

So, I'll put this question for you.  Why do they do it?  Why do they make people feel small just because they can?

The answer is simply this... Because they can.  Because we let them get away with it.  Because no one has the guts to stand up and call them out on it.

I'm done taking the abuse.  I'm done letting them walk over me because they think they can.  I understand the in-character hating on my characters.  They aren't always likeable.  But don't carry it elsewhere.  Don't let it seep into your actual life because it becomes poison.

No comments:

Post a Comment