Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Invisible in a Sea of Faces

We've all been there.  We've all felt invisible.  Sometimes, we just can't help it.  We're overlooked by those we thought cared.  "Why?" we ask ourselves.  Why the hell are we the invisible ones?  What did we do to earn this?  More importantly, why don't they understand?

Here's the thing.  They do understand.  They've all been there, too.  Sometimes, we just don't want to believe it.  It's hard to accept that the same people who make us feel invisible also feel invisible.

For the past seventeen years, the only time I'm seen is when I'm dancing.  When I'm moving, I don't care if I can be seen.  I just want to forget.  Sometimes, it's painful to hold on to the feelings that I hide from the rest of the world.  The minute I'm on the dance floor, the rest of the world ceases to matter.  All that matters is my partner and the music.

Only one other person managed to change that.  Without him, I'd have sunk into a depression again.  Instead, he keeps me sane, keeps me from going over the deep end and never being able to find myself again.  The sad thing is... he lives too far away to spend time with.  I can't call him up when I'm on the verge of tears.  I have to wait until he gets online to tell him about how small I've been made to feel.

So yeah... Even if you feel invisible, please know you aren't the only one.  We've all been there.  We've all felt like this.  Some of us still feel that way.  Know this, though... no one can change it but you.

No comments:

Post a Comment